Monday

SEA LAND BIRD

Wouldn't it be great if we could fly?  Have you ever dreamt of flying?  Strangely, whenever I dream of flying, my sensation is that of swimming.  In my dream, the molecules of air are always as dense as those of water.  My dream flight speed is akin to that of mine awake and swimming in water.  Even the movement I use to propel my slumbering flight is a breaststroke pull, as I soar forward in my dream. Strangely, I've never dreamt of flying in freestyle, backstroke or butterfly.

I wonder how other people dream of unencumbered flight.

Swimming gives me the ability to steer up and down at will, like a bird; land locomotion does not.  That is one of the freedoms I love about water, diving under the surface and climbing back up to get air.  Soaring those hills and valleys are an unending thrill.  Ironically, in fast swimming, we try to minimize such up and down motion, in order to propel faster forward.  Holding an awareness of one's vertical (ascending and descending) movement in the water, and transferring the ideal proportion of that amplitude into forward motion through the water, can maximize speed and be useful for swimmers to optimize in all strokes. Novice swimmers can really benefit from a visualization of this concept, and by getting a sensory reference for how their forward propulsion is somewhat at the mercy of their tendency to bounce up and down along the way.  In butterfly and breaststroke, some vertical amplitude can be beneficial, but finding the precise degree of amplitude, which will maximize forward speed, is critical and is greatly dependent upon the distance of the swim versus the strength of the swimmer.

Swimming could be second best to flying, I imagine.  Although, air molecules leave something to be desired, not being nearly as soft or luxurious as water.  If we evolve into air mammals, and I am reincarnated during that future evolutionary period, I hope to Coach a Flying Team; something like the Hogwart's Quidditch Team, only without the brooms....

No comments:

Post a Comment